Monday 16 December 2013

I'm frustrated not scoring for the Magpies says Eagles forward

Newcastle United loyal striker Shola Ameobi may celebrate an embarrassing anniversary this Sunday, as he has not scored a goal in Premier League since December 22, 2012.
32-year-old Ameobi failed to beat opposition keeper yet again last Saturday, and if this weekend he will not score a goal against Crystal Palace, on Sunday he will reach a one-year mark without a goal in English Premier League.

Ameobi scored twice this year for Newcastle, but did that in Europa League and English League Cup games. Last team he got on scoresheet in Premier League was in the match against Queens Park Rangers on December 22.

 “It is a long drought now. It is something I am trying not to think about. When was it? God knows, it is so long ago I have forgotten," Ameobi told after the match.

“Obviously I am extremely frustrated. I am playing well but not scoring goals. I should have buried that header in the second half, it was bread and butter for me.

“It is frustrating and something I need to work on. As a striker you get confidence from scoring goals. I have to add them to my game in the rest of the season. I am working hard in training to make sure I get into positions and hopefully they will come soon."

 “For all that the team comes first, and as long as we win that is all that matters. On a personal level I want to break that duck as soon as I can. I am playing well. When the team is winning you want to get in amongst the goals. Hopefully I will put it right in the next couple of games.”

Ameobi also commented on the unexpected events that happened during the game - Moussa Sissoko knocking down the referee and the scuffle on the sidelines that resulted in sending off goalkeeping coaches of both sides. “The referee one was pretty comical. I just saw him fall over. It was accidental.

Then the other one … I stay out of things like that. It was handbags, it always is. “There were a lot of angry faces as well. I was just sitting there watching it all, keeping out of it. I had a dead calf so I couldn't really join in! I suppose looking back it was quite funny.” Ameobi has scored 51 Premier League goals in 296 matches for Newcastle since the 2000-01 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment