Saturday 21 December 2013

Bale enjoying Spanish life


Gareth Bale has reflected on his first few months in Madrid, admitting that he is settling in to life in the capital.


The Wales international joined Los Blancos in September for a world-record €100m, and the attacker has conceded that he wasn’t entirely comfortable during the days leading up to his presentation at Santiago Bernabeu.

“I wanted to get out of my hotel as soon as possible because you have media outside, people outside wandering around, so you’re not able to relax, you’re stuck in a room, it feels like a prison cell at some point,” he told the Daily Telegraph. “Of course it wasn’t that bad, it was a brilliant, exciting new time.

“It was important to get out at some point and to try and get into a house, You’re able to relax, watch TV, go on the internet. It just makes life easier when you’re able to do that.

“I’ve had my family and friends over which is the most important thing for me, being able to relax with them and enjoy their company is exactly what you need to settle in.”

Bale has insisted that this Real Madrid team are good enough to win at home and in Europe this season.
“We firmly believe we’re a great team and that we can win the League this year.

“I wouldn’t say it’s pressure. The fact it’s the 10th [Champions League] title will be special for the club but for everybody at the club, the players, the staff, we want to win the Champions League because we want to win every trophy we’re playing in.”

The former Spurs man has also commented on the cultural differences between Spain and England.

“Certain things are a lot different,” he says. “The times that people eat here is a lot different, they eat very late at night.

“I am comfortable with that but I don’t need to be eating at 11. I’ve been here for a while now and I’ve started to settle and get used to it.”

Player like Sergio Ramos, Cristiano Ronaldo and Luka Modric have already impressed Bale.

“They lead by example. If you ever want to talk to them they’re always there to listen. It’s great to play alongside them because they’re world-class players too.”

“At Tottenham I was always trying to get onto the ball and make everything tick, whereas here everybody’s doing that, there are world-class players all around the pitch and you’re able to concentrate just on your game rather than bringing the whole team forward, and I’m enjoying that.”

“I enjoyed my time in England but I also like other styles of football and coming to Spain, I’ll learn other types of football, different ways to play and it will make me better as an all-round player, and hopefully it will make me better for my country. If other players did that I’m sure it’d help their games as well.”

The language is, of course, one stumbling block to seamlessly fitting in at the club.

“I understand some of it so I’m all right in training,” he goes on. “I say hello and good morning to the boys and how are you, all that, but the advanced conversation I’m limited to at the moment.

“The good thing is I don’t understand the abuse I’m getting, which is helpful!”

Injuries though, have dogged the forward’s brief spell in La Liga, with the 24-year-old set to miss Real Madrid’s match with Valencia on Sunday.

“It was difficult not having a pre-season, you miss a lot of ball sessions and running and everything. Once I felt I was able to do that physically and mentally, I felt I was able to show what I was able to do.”

“I’ve only been here two to three months so being able to score a hat-trick at the BernabĂ©u is special for me and it’s something that will always stay with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment