Tuesday 11 March 2014

Ejovwo Queen: God is in control of my career

Qatar based Ejovwo Queen is a name that rings bells to followers of women football in Nigeria. The former Confluence Queens, FCT Queens and Bobruichanka utility player spoke to futbalgalore.blogspot.com on life in the oil rich region and other issues.

FG: Can you please introduce yourself?

Queen: My name is Ejovwo Queen, I hail from Udu Local Government Area of Delta State, Nigeria. I am a professional football player, currently playing for Al-Arabi Sports Club, in Doha, Qatar.

FG: Tell us about your club, the name, year of establishment, city situated and other features like the stadium capacity and other relevant information.

Queen: Al-Arabi Sports Club (Arabic: النادي العربي الرياضي), also known as Al-Arabi Al-Qatari, is a Qatari professional sports club fielding teams in a number of sports, most notably football which currently competes in the Qatar Women’s League.

The club is based in Doha, Qatar. They play their home games in the Grand Hamad Stadium. Al-Arabi is known by its different nicknames: "Dream Team", "The Red Devils", "Emperor of Qatari football", and "Century Club".

It is situated in New Salata, Doha, Qatar. The name of the stadium is Grand Hamad Stadium, also known as the Al-Arabi Sports Club, is a multi-purpose stadium in Doha, Qatar. It is currently used mostly for football matches. The stadium holds about 13,000 people. It’s capacity is 18,000. The club was founded in year 1952.

FG: How many trophies have you won with your current club and how has the club been performing in the league this season?

Queen: I have won one trophy, it was the first concluded competition, it is an indoor game and a five-a-side competition organised by Qatar university to celebrate Qatar National sports Day.

So far, so good, my club has been doing well in the league since I completed my transfer to the club, with the signings of other Nigerian players like Chioma Nwankwo, a former Under 20 goalkeeper; and Diana Kesiet, a former Ibom Angels player.

Currently we are occupying the fourth place in the league table, 3 points behind leaders, Al-Khor Sports Club.

FG: Are there any other Nigeria female players plying their trade in your club or other Qatar outfits? Mention their names?

Queen: Like I told you before, Chioma Nwankwo and Diana Kesiet are here with me. In Al-Gharafa Sports Club, they have former youth U20 star Soo Adekwagh, Favour Uzor, Blessing Musa, and ex-Delta Queens goal tender Dikachi Uzor. Al-Sadd Sports Club boast of Okwaraji Ogechi.


FG: Have you represent Nigeria before maybe at the age-grade levels? If yes, tell us about your exploits.

Queen: No

FG: Do you wish to be part of the Nigeria women national team; Super Falcons team maybe in the future? Will you honour any call-up in the future?

Queen: Yes, it is my dream to play in the national team someday, if given the opportunity.

FG: Any plans to seek for new career pastures and how wealthy are you since you are based in Dubai-the city of OIL-RICH SHEIKS?

Queen: I have always believed in God for direction. He is the one that directs me. My major concern for now is having a swell time on the pitch, and how to help my team to secure a good position in the league and win many matches.

Smiles……Since I moved to Doha, the Lord has been so faithful to me, I have received the gift of salvation and I believe that is more than riches and any other thing on earth you can think of… am happy that I got it.

FG: Tell us about your family background back in Nigeria and your childhood memories?

Queen: Smiles….i am from a polygamous home..When I was still a child, I remember that every morning, my father will wake us (my brothers and sisters) up, and take us out for jogging and do some other exercises, after that we then start going to school. That was when I developed love for sports. In my primary school days, I was a sprinter. When I gained admission into secondary school, I was involved in different sports. I played Volleyball, Handball, Shot-put, Discus, Javelin and some track events. Whenever I observed that the boys in my schools were playing football, I will join them in the fun. I did all these only in school, but at home it was business as usual. My father would ask me to read my books, but when he is not around, I will go out and play football with my male friends on the playing turf.

FG: The Nigeria U-17 women are set to begin their World Cup campaign in Costa Rica grouped with the likes of China, Mexico and Colombian next week. What are your expectations on their performance given that at the last edition, they were eliminated at the quarter-finals?

Queen: I believe they will go beyond quarter finals…they might bring back home the trophy. With the international friendly matches they have played, it will help the coaches to know the ability of all the players and how they can help them improve on their different positions.

With the draw they got against Belgium Under 17 national team, it shows they will go a long way in the tournament, because the Belgium usually have good sides. I watched them during their qualifying stage last year in Slovenia, when my former team travelled for a. UEFA WOMENS CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUALIFYING ROUND MATCH.

FG: Lastly, describe the social life of Doha as a foreign player and also as a Christian. How has the change in environment seems to be and how have you been coping since your movement? Also, How did you relax when you are not playing football?

Queen: Well all I can say is that, here in Doha there are a lot of fun here, and also you can find different language and clothing that people bring with them at every corner of Qatar.

One of the first things you will notice in Doha is the vast amount of construction happening everywhere as Doha is racing toward expansion and growth and of course preparing for the 2022 World Cup that will be one of the most exciting events for every person in Qatar.

I have been coping very well, the weather has nothing to do with me, am a traveller, I get adapted to any kind of weather and it’s not the first time I have been playing under this weather, though the it is very hot, with high level of humidity and fairly uncomfortable when compared with that of Belarus.

When am not playing, I spend most of my time in reading the Word of God from the bible, and also help in cleaning of the church, after that, I do chat with my friends on Facebook and also go and watch Aspire Academy in their training pitch and many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment