Saturday 22 March 2014

Baba Wenger pays tribute to Super Eagles legend


Ahead of Arsene Wenger 1,000 match in charge of Arsenal as manager, Ex- Arsenal forward Kanu Nwankwo has showered praises on the gaffer.

Kanu was signed by Arsene Wenger in 1999 two years after a heart surgery and he ended up spending 5 years at Arsenal making 198 appearances (104 starts, 94 as a sub) with 44 goals winning the premier league title and FA cup twice, described Wenger as the saviour of his career.

"After God who keeps me alive and protects me, the next in my life is Arsene Wenger he rescued my career at a time when even I had doubts if I will be able to play at the highest level," Kanu said.

"He is the saviour of my career and on the occasion of his 1,000 match in charge of Arsenal, I will say no coach deserves such an honour like Wenger."

Kanu whose time at Arsenal coincides with the team trophy laden years said Wenger is still the man to end the trophy drought.

"I say this without sentiments and I believe a lot of players who have worked under him will say same, he is the best coach a player will ever wish to have, simple, motivating and supportive, so if at all Arsenal will get back to trophy winning ways, Arsene is still the man."

Papillo like Kanu loves to be called was also proud and full of thanks to Arsenal fans who voted his second half hat trick against Chelsea among the top 10 Arsene Wenger moments in his 1,000 match in charge.

"What else can I say but thanks to the best fans the world of football has ever seen, voting my hat trick against Chelsea among the top 10 moments in the career of a great manager like Wenger, am so proud about that, me and Arsenal fans have a special bond because even after I left the team, I always get a loud cheer every time I visit with another team," the former Gunner added.

On 30 July, Kanu agreed to leave Portsmouth announcing the end to a glittering career that spanned over Holland, Italy and England with 13 club trophies, the under-17 World cup trophy, Atlanta 1996 gold medal and aside participating in three world cups he was also twice voted the Africa player of the year by CAF and twice by BBC.

He won 86 caps and scored 13 goals for his country and was the joint most capped Nigerian player of all-time alongside Muda Lawal, until Joseph Yobo surpassed both players in 2012.

Kanu is still in a dispute with Portsmouth over unpaid wages that the club owed him from 2012-2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment