Friday 12 July 2013

Akpan Bassey eyes Eagles action

Hoang Ahn Gia Lai FC goalkeeper Bassey Akpan is hoping the current coaching crew of the Super Eagles will extend invitation to him due to his excellent form in Vietnam.

The former Heartland and Bayelsa United custodian lost his place in the national side when he made the move to the Asian country, having been the captain of the domestic side at the 2010 WAFU Cup held in Nigeria.

The 29-year-old has never been considered under the management of Stephen Okechukwu Keshi but the 2001 U17 World Cup silver medalist says he's put his dilemma behind him.

"I'll be delighted to be called up again. Nigeria is blessed with a lot of talented players and it's impossible for everybody to be there at a time. I think my time will come. Though it hurts when you are not called up for your national team and you are playing well for your club, but I think the past is over. I am ready to give my best for the team when the coaches need my services.

"Playing for my country has always been what I wanted to do; sometimes you have to accept the fact that the team is not a permanent place to be. But I will always give my best whenever I am given the opportunity," the Vietnam League best goalkeeper said.

1 comment: