Tuesday 14 April 2015

Iwobi: Jay Jay Okocha Is My Role Model

Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi has spoken about the influence of retired Nigeria international Austin Okocha on his career.


And the 18-year-old, who has dazzled fans in recent games for The Gunners youth team, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of the ex Bolton Wanderers icon.

The former England youth international shone in the 4 - 1 win over Stoke City a week ago by netting his first - ever hat-trick for Arsenal's Under 21 squad.

"He's a brilliant player, a legend for Nigeria and a legend in the Premier League," Iwobi told arsenal.com.

"He's influenced me because he’s taught me a lot of things, he’s been through a lot of things in his career.

"He's told me what to do, how I should do things, and has been a big inspiration to me."

The teenager added: "It would be nice to be like a young Jay-Jay as he was very skilful and an attractive football player.

"I would like to base my game around him but I’d also like to have that unique game.

"He says, 'don’t be shy to express yourself, always be yourself. Listen to your coaches but try to be yourself at the same time'."

Just like his uncle, Austin Okocha, Alex Iwobi has pledged to represent Nigeria internationally, and he's now waiting for Fifa to give him the green light to make his debut.

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/categories/nigeria-players-abroad/arsenal-whizkid-iwobi-cites-nigeria-legend-okocha-as-his-role-model/206679

No comments:

Post a Comment