Monday 6 May 2013

I AM NOT DIDIER DROGBA- LUKAKU

Chelsea loanee Romelu Lukaku has played down comparisons between himself and former team-mate Didier Drogba.

Lukaku has been hailed as a 'new Drogba' since emerging at Anderlecht and his breakthrough season in the Premier League on loan at West Brom has done little to curb such comparisons.

However, the Belgian striker has insisted that he is his own man, but thanked Drogba for his guidance while at Stamford Bridge.

Lukaku told FIFA.com: "Didier and I do have a similar style. I learnt a lot from him, and I’m delighted to have had the chance to rub shoulders with him for a year.

"But there's only one Didier Drogba, just like there's only one Romelu Lukaku.

"Players like Drogba and (Nicolas) Anelka took me under their wing and showed me how things worked in the Premier League. And now I’m happy to be able to spread my own wings."

The 19-year-old has scored an impressive 14 league goals since moving to the Hawthorns but still recognises the need to keep his feet on the ground, especially if he is to fulfill his dream of winning the FIFA Ballon d'Or one day.

He added: "I'm only 19. It goes without saying that I’ve still got a lot to learn. First and foremost, I need to keep my feet on the ground.

"I thank God every day for the opportunity to play in the Premier League. I know that not everyone gets this kind of chance, especially at my age.

"I can and I must improve every area of my game. Perfecting my skills is the only way I’m going to get better. Winning the Ballon d’Or is actually a dream of mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment