Thursday 16 May 2013

Jamie Carragher has had no regrets about his decision to call time on his playing career and does not expect to shed tears when he walks off the Anfield pitch for the final time.



Carragher announced his intention to retire at the end of the season back in February and on Sunday he will make his 737th and final appearance for Liverpool in the home game against QPR.

Reds manager Brendan Rodgers recently revealed he had hoped Carragher would extend his career by another season, but the defender is at peace with his decision and admits his mind was made up a long time again.

"About 12 months ago, the end of the season," Carragher answered when asked when he realised it was time for him to retire. "I was in and out of the side with Kenny (Dalglish). I was thinking about it in the summer but I had a year to go and a new manager coming in. I knew then it was always going to be my last season."

Carragher made his decision public in February, preferring to end the speculation for the sake of the club, and he knows he has made the right call.

"The more I've been in the team, the more I've wanted to stick with my decision and go out playing. I've been quite fortunate really that at the time that I announced it, I kept myself in the side. I can go out playing, which is something I'd prefer rather than maybe stay another year and be in the stand, on the bench or wherever it may be.

Carragher joined the club's youth academy and went on to make his first-team debut against Middlesbrough in January 1997.

As well as FA Cup and Carling Cup glory, Carragher was a member of Rafael Benitez's team that won the Champions League in 2005 and it is that night in Istanbul that is his happiest memory.

"Istanbul, nothing will beat that - the Champions League final," he told reporters. "There's no point going over the game, I think we all know what happened that night. It's difficult to ever top that.

"We've never won the league, which is a disappointment; if we'd have won that maybe I could have compared the two. We've won FA Cups, Carling Cups, the UEFA Cup but nothing compared to the Champions League. It's the biggest and best trophy that you can win as a footballer in club football. It's what we achieved."

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has told Carragher that there will always be a job for him at the club but the 35-year-old does not expect to be returning too often.

"Once you're done, you're done. I'm sure I'll be welcome to come in for my lunch one day and watch training, but I don't think it's something I'll be doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment