Saturday 21 September 2013

We must be clinical in the final third: Ogunbote

Sharks head coach, Gbenga Ogunbote, is propping up his team to be "clinical" when they face Sunshine Stars in a Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) in Akure this Sunday.

Ogunbote is hoping that his men will put up an even better performance against Sunshine Stars than their 4-0 win over ABS in mid-week.

“I am happy my boys came out in the second 45 minutes to kill off the game (against ABS) after struggling to score one goal in the first half and we will certainly try and improve on some grey areas discovered so that the boys will be clinical in Akure against Sunshine Stars in this weekend,” Ogunbote said.

Ogunbote is making a return to Akure where he managed Sunshine Stars between 2009 and 2012.

He also talked on his time at the Akure club, adding that he expects "a warm reception" when he steps out on the turf of the Akure Township Stadium.

The Sharks also made it clear he left Sunshine Stars after guiding them to back-to-back semifinals in the 2012 Caf Champions League and 2011 Confederation Cup.

“They didn’t sack me (at Sunshine Stars), as I just felt it was high time I left them. I am sure they still want me back and as such will give me a warm reception but when the game gets underway you can never say what will happen,” Ogunbote said.

The Sharks gaffer is eyeing a respectable finish this season after a poor start that left the Blue Angels in bottom spot for long spells in the course of this season.

Ogunbote will not want to be drawn into the talk of guiding Sharks to a continental slot in first tenure as the club's head coach.

“The dream of everybody is to get a continental but I would like to maintain my stand that I want to finish the season respectably.

“It’s not just escaping relegation because we started poorly. It is to finish well so that people will at the end say we have done a good job,” Ogunbote remarked.

Credit: Supersport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment